Using a Navigon 8410, time problem ... and a few questions !

Can't seem to figure out how to get PocketFMS to do what you want? Maybe someone else here can help you!

Moderators: Stu B, roweda

Using a Navigon 8410, time problem ... and a few questions !

Postby Jumptrack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 21:41

Hi there,

I just installed and tried out PocketFMS on a new Navigon 8410.

- Apparently, there is a problem with the local time (lt) computed by PocketFMS to destination. For instance, FPMS indicates 08:43 lt to destination, where it should be 18:43 lt. I thought I misunderstood something, so I tried changing to UTC time (utc) and it computed 16:43 utc to destination, which was correct. And then again 08:43 lt (instead of 18:43 lt) when I switched back the settings to local time. What am I doing wrong ? Since I had proper GPS fix and the UTC estimate was correct, I assume it is just a display problem... Anyone out there with a 8410 has this problem too ?

- Is there a way to indicate PocketFMS to remember the screen settings (counter rotate for instance) ? Didn't find this, so I guess not, but not a big deal anyway...

- When I quit PocketFMS, PocketFMS displays the "computing icon" (the Navigon logo rotating) for a few seconds and then half of the screen with the previous display and the other half totally blank. I assumed that this meant that PocketFMS has properly exited, and then I press on the power button for 6+ seconds to turn off the 8410. Is this the right way to go ?

Thanks in advance for your tips !
Btw, PocketFMS on the Navigon 8410 is just great. Great display, easy to use, easy to install, pretty fast...
Jumptrack
Following Flight School
Following Flight School

Re: Using a Navigon 8410, time problem ... and a few questio

Postby Rob Weijers » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:38

Hi Jumptrack,

I will have a look at the lt versus utc problem on the 8410. I've never verified it to be honest, I'l report back what my findings are, thx for the pirep.

PocketFMS memorises most settings on restart, but the rotation is an exception. If you want to set that automatically you will have to modiy the UI interface using the UI Graphical editor (lot's of info found on that on this forum and in the hlepfile). *but* there is catch : I've seen reports of the 8410 that where put into portrait, then turned into standby, then turned on again, and then had their screen go totally crazy as if there is a time-sync problem between the horizontal and vertical scanlines or something like that, hard to describe. So before you fix your 8410 to portrait, make sure this problem isn't spoiling the fun then.

- When I quit PocketFMS, PocketFMS displays the "computing icon" (the Navigon logo rotating) for a few seconds and then half of the screen with the previous display and the other half totally blank. I assumed that this meant that PocketFMS has properly exited, and then I press on the power button for 6+ seconds to turn off the 8410. Is this the right way to go ?
Yep, that is correct. When P exists, there basically isn't anything running anymore, so performing the reset is the thing to do to get back either to the CarNav of PocketFMS.
Rob Weijers
PocketFMS Crew
PocketFMS Crew

Postby scsirob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:37

I can confirm the issue with portrait mode and standby. When returning from standby it looks like an old television that lost sync. Only fix is a reset.
Rob flies PH-ANR, Rans S6S Coyote-II TD, Jabiru 3300
scsirob
Rugged Bush Pilot
Rugged Bush Pilot

Postby C.B » Tue Jul 06, 2010 14:06

I can confirm the issue with portrait mode and standby. When returning from standby it looks like an old television that lost sync. Only fix is a reset.

I've got the same thing happening.
C.B
C.B
Licensed Barnstormer
Licensed Barnstormer

Postby Jumptrack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 20:57

Ok, thanks for warning me concerning the portrait problem with standby...

But do guys also get this ETA with local time problem (described above) ?

Apparently PocketFMS when the time displayed should be 1H:MM, it displays 0H:MM instead.
Unfortunately I have not been able to try this out in the morning to find out what PocketFMS would display in that case (that would mean I'd get out of bed early in the morning... :^) )
Jumptrack
Following Flight School
Following Flight School

Postby Jumptrack » Mon Jul 19, 2010 13:27

Hello,

I think I got some informations that should definitely help to pinpoint (and hopefully solve !) this time problem with the Navigon 8410.

On a flight on 13th july early in the morning (at sunrise in fact) that started around 06 am (LT) and ended around 09:10 am (LT), the breadcrumb file that was generated is named GPS20100713, which is correct. However, here are some characteristics of this breadcrumb file :

- file created on July 12th at 19:50
- file last modified on July 12th at 23:18

This seems weird, but considering the time problem it is not (my LT is 2 hours later than UTC) :

I started PocketFMS on July 13th at 5:50 (LT) in the morning, so that's 10 hours of difference with a UTC time (19:50 above), so 12 hours using same time reference for both times (LT or UTC, whichever).
Same conclusion for the "last modified time" (PocketFMS turned off at the end of the flight) : 23:18 UTC to be compared to 09:18 LT. 12 hours of difference.

This is totally relevant with the wrong ETA that is displayed, which is always "late" of 12 hours : for example, PocketFMS indicates 06:47 instead of 16:47. And in the morning, I get an ETA with a minus !

I don't know how to correct the time reference of the Navigon 8410 (if that's what should be done).

'hope my findings will be useful for someone to come up with a solution...

Blue skies !
Jumptrack
Following Flight School
Following Flight School

Postby Maths » Fri Jul 30, 2010 18:11

C.B wrote:

I've got the same thing happening.
C.B

I have the same problem.
It seems to be that if you turn off the unit in landscape view, its start correct again when you turn it on but not in the portrait view.
Regards Maths
PPL/A (SEP, NQ, VP, TW (IR on the way)) + UL-B, S/TMG
PA28, DA40, Eurostar, Zephyr, SF25
SE-EZO
Maths
Following Ground School
Following Ground School

Postby kenkelso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 18:41

I have the same problem with times, I just set up a flight from/to the same place and the eta should read19:40 local but it reads 10:40lt.
When set to UTC it is correct.

Ken Kelso
kenkelso
Following Flight School
Following Flight School

Return to PocketFMS Desktop