New 2010 Chart Colours

Informal forum that can be totally off-topic for any personal discussion. The Crew will also place any anouncements here.

Moderators: Stu B, roweda

New 2010 Chart Colours

Postby dublinpilot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 22:51

While at the Aero last weekend, I bought some new charts that I'll need while flying to the Swedish flyin in June.

I decided (against my better judgement!) to get the Jepp VFR/GPS charts.

I see that they have adopted the new Euro Control style for charts, which I understand both the Germans and Dutch ICAO charts have also adopted for 2010.

My inital reaction to them is that they are pure awful. The depiction seems very similar for everything, and different classes of airspace is hard to decifer quickly. They seem to make a big distinction between a class D ctr and a class D CTA, which from a practical point of view have no difference (other than I think for mode S requirements in Germany), while making very little distinction between a class A CTA and class C/D CTA which have a huge parctical difference.

Out of curiousity, how have these changes gone down in other countries? Has the change been welcomed or not?

Colm
dublinpilot
Beta Crew
Beta Crew

Re: New 2010 Chart Colours

Postby rongrenfell » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:31

As a side comment, doesn't this provide a great opportunity to promote PocketFMS because it allows the user to highlight the important differences in Class that the paper charts no longer provide. Great way of subtly bagging systems which are based on the scanned charts.

This 'benefit' will be particularly well received for the emotive period when long-time users of the old scheme are strugglling to come to grips with the changes, but will lose effect when they've had time to become accustomed to the new scheme, as they inevitably will.

Act now on the Web page and any Forums you have access to!
rongrenfell
Beta Crew
Beta Crew

Return to The Pilot's Lounge & Publications Board